Saturday, August 24, 2013

When life hands you lemons, you better make something

     When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. When life hands you the wrong kind of fabric, you make stuff with it anyway! I ordered a bunch of fabric online to make the rag quilt bags for the craft show. Half of the fabric that came was perfect, exactly what I ordered, 100% cotton material. The other half they "claimed" was 100% cotton, but anyone with their sense of touch could tell it was polyester fabric. 
     So here I was with a decision to make. Do I complain, send it back, and have fewer rag quilt bags to sell at the craft show? or do I suck it up, cross my fingers, hope for the best and try to make the bags anyway? I decided to push along and try to make them. 



I had never actually worked with polyester before and let me just say there were pro's and con's!

 The Pro's:
The fabric is stiffer, so the bags stay up right without a lot of prompting on my end. 
The fabric is very colorful and seems to shimmer a little when you set it in the right light.
It seems like this fabric might be easier to keep clean than the cotton fabric.
  
  The Con's:
Because the fabric is stiffer it is harder to make the bags.
The seems ripped pretty easily if I didn't triple or quadruple stitch them. 
It's supposed to be a rag quilt bag but the polyester does not "rag" very easily, luckily I made these bags with scalloped edges, so it at least gives a little definition to them.



     All in all I think they turned out cute but I don't know if I would ever make them with the polyester material again. It will all depend on my customers at the craft show, I guess they will make my final decision because after all, The customer is ALWAYS right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment